GHS ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2021
Drama Club will have our first spring semester meeting on Thursday, February 25 after school in Ms. Pobocik’s room (2285 – by guidance) until 5:00. We will talk about spring One Acts, discuss future meetings, and possibly get some auditioning practice! If you have questions, email Ms. Pobocik (email@example.com)
JUNIORS AND SENIORS interested in submitting a script to direct during One Acts need to get those to Ms. Pobocik ASAP for approval.
The Spring Blood Drive will be Friday, March 5 from 8:00-2:00. You must be at least 16 years old to sign up to donate. 16-year-olds must have a permission form signed by a parent. 17 and older do not need permission forms. Please contact Mrs. Wohlford if you would like to sign-up or have any questions. Her room is 3215 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faith + Student + Sport = FCA
FCA will start meeting every Thursday @ 7:30 am in room 1230. If you are looking to fellowship with other Goshen students and athletes, FCA is for you. This club helps students and athletes inject their Faith into daily lives & routines.
Contact Mr. Hutcherson (Rm. 1230) or Mr. DuBois (Rm. 1220) for more information about FCA.
Merit on the Move:
- We are starting up Merit on the Move on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:45-5:45.
We have a lot of math students currently interested and have opened up two rooms (2265 as well as the current APEX lab) to accommodate more students. Students will need to clear things with their counselors before coming to a session. Sessions will continue through May and many students are able to earn a credit toward their transcript in that time. Motivated students can often earn more than one. If you have a student who needs another credit or two to graduate, or just wants to get ahead, please let either Mr. Wolf (email@example.com) or Ms. Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org) know. Thank you!
Do you have library books at home? Please return them when you return to GHS for classes! Thank you!
Miss seeing all of your friends’ faces? We do too. Get the GHS yearbook to keep this crazy year’s memories all in one place! The 2020-21 yearbook is currently only $60. Buy now at jostens.com before the prices go up! Contact Ms. Shetler with questions.
The English Academic Super Bowl team is looking for members! This is basically English trivia competitions and groups always have a ton of fun competing! This year’s theme is “The American Woman: 1920-2020” and the texts we read circulate around this topic. This is open to students of any grade level who are interested in reading texts that they might not typically get the chance to read in school. Anyone interested should email Ms. Pobocik (email@example.com)!
Looking for work?
Miso Japan Fine Dining on Pike St. in Goshen is looking for smile faces, opening positions: part time cashier $11/hr for start. Apply walk in 2:00-4:15 pm Tuesday- Thursday.
Maplecrest Animal Hospital is seeking part-time kennel attendants. Applicants must be available evenings, some weekends, and some holidays. It usually works out to about 8-12 days per month, with about 3-4 hours per work “day”. Salary starts at $8.75/hr. Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Dog and Cat care (feeding, walking, giving medication)
- General Cleaning
- Restocking medical supplies
The real “benefit” is the interactions between the veterinarians and the kennel staff. If the candidate has an interest in the veterinary profession, interesting cases will be shared with the students. Interested candidates please fill out an application at: Maplecrest Animal Hospital 1214 N. Main St Goshen, IN 46528.
Attention Seniors (and juniors graduating early):
All students participating in the graduation ceremony are expected to have a cap, gown, and tassel. Orders will now have a late fee applied.
- Here is the link to purchase the cap/gown/tassel package. The cost before sales tax is $29.95. https://www.jostens.com/apps/store/productDetail/1073026/Goshen-High-School/-/1351904766/CATALOG_REPOSITORY/Cap-and-Gown-Unit/1351904802/
- Some of you have older siblings and will reuse their cap and gown. Here is the link to purchase only a tassel. The cost before sales tax is $8.95. https://www.jostens.com/apps/store/productDetail/1073026/Goshen-High-School/-/1351904766/CATALOG_REPOSITORY/Souvenir-Tassel/1351904849/
If you have any questions or need financial assistance please contact Mrs. Jenny Clark – firstname.lastname@example.org
- GCS needs every middle and high school student to have a daily self-assessment agreement on file, signed by a parent or guardian. These can be filled out and emailed to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. They can also be printed and sent in to GMS or GHS. Nurse Wendy is available to answer any questions regarding Covid-19 between the hours of 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and on Sundays. If you email her during other times of the day, please expect an answer after 8am. If you are unsure if you should come to school, please do not come to school until you have heard back from Nurse Wendy.
- This is a reminder that you can NOT park in the band practice lot or in spots designated for the small white buses. All vehicles need to be parked in a designated spot. There is parking on the grass south of the band practice lot and there is parking along the streets. The new lot on 10th street near the Administrative Building and the new lot farther down 10th street near Madison Street are now available as well! Students also need to have a parking permit in order to park on campus. Please see the bookkeeper in the Main Office. You will need your driver’s license, vehicle registration, proof of insurance, and $5.00.
- We are giving all students free for their regular school meal; breakfast and lunch. This is due to an USDA waiver! IF a student wants a second meal or a la carte items they will be charged. Adults MUST pay for their meals. They are NOT included in this free program. Extra milk for packers is NOT free they must still pay. These free meals to all will last until the end of the 2020-2021 school year!!!
- REMINDER: Students are to wear their IDs at all times. You MUST have your ID to purchase a lunch in the cafeteria. If you forget your ID you can get one at the Welcome Center for $1. If you need a lanyard they are $1, or we can provide string for free.
- YOU MUST BE STAYING AFTER SCHOOL FOR SOMETHING TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS – The GHS cafeteria is offering free after school snacks every day after school. This program is for any student who is staying after school. All student-athletes, club members, music participants, drama participants, after school homework help kids, etc. are strongly encouraged to stop by the cafeteria after school and take advantage of this generous opportunity. Students just need to show their ID and they can grab a healthy snack to go that will hold them over during their after school activities until dinner. The cafeteria will stay open until 3:55 p.m. to hand out the snacks.
- If you are a student that leaves the building at any time during normal school hours then you must have a sticker on your ID if it’s for a class (PACT, Building Trades, EACC, Merit, shortened schedules, Red Zone, internship, yearbook, etc.) that indicates that or a blue pass from the office indicating that you have permission to leave. Building Trades, EACC and Red Zone students are also required to sign out at the Welcome Center before leaving.
- WORK PERMITS: When you get a work permit EVERY box needs to be filled out on the Intent to Employ form before we will issue you the work permit. Please bring completed forms to the main office in the morning and they will be completed by the end of the school day.
- Homework help is available every Tuesday and Thursday in the Cafeteria from 3:45-4:50 p.m. You must be in the Cafeteria by 3:50 p.m. in order to stay for this. You are expected to exit the building through door M where a bus will be available at 5:15 p.m. if you need a ride home. This bus is for students who stay for after-hours help ONLY. This is a great opportunity if you just need a little extra time or even just a quiet place to do your homework at the end of the day.
GTV students are working hard to bring you information about people and events here at GHS and beyond that have an impact on you.
Here’s how you can help:
- Email us ideas for announcements, sports, or entertainment
- Subscribe and like our videos
- Listen to GTV Radio on Radio Horizonte 104.3FM
- Tune-in app – http://tun.in/sfuAt
- Join GTV Radio – behind the scenes or on-air!
Email Mr. Sapp – email@example.com
UPDATED scholarship links:
If you have any questions, please see Ms. Embriz.
In Sports Action:
- The boys JV and Varsity basketball teams will compete against LaPorte at LaPorte High School starting at 6:00PM. The Varsity game to follow at 7:30PM.
- Goshen JV boys’ basketball defeated Wawasee on Friday 39-31. Goshen was led in scoring by Andre Williams with 8 points.
- Goshen Varsity boys’ basketball defeated Wawasee on Friday 57-43. Goshen was led in scoring by Drew Hogan with 23 points, Blak Wiess with 12 points and Deecon Hill with 11 points.
- Goshen freshman basketball fell to Northridge over the weekend 41-30. Goshen was led in scoring by Ray Harris with 14 points and Jace Hershberger with 9 points.
- Goshen freshman basketball defeated Northwood over the weekend 47-38. Goshen was led in scoring by Ray Harris with 20 points, Myles McLaughlin with 10 points and Emmet Herschberger with 8 points.
Out of Season Activities:
- Attention! All girls interested in playing Softball this spring, please see Coach Kulp in Room 1215 across from the nurse’s station. He has important information about the final month of the preseason and the beginning of the season.
- Any girls interested in trying out for the tennis team for the first time this spring should contact Coach Love to get more information. Go to the Girls Tennis page on goshenredhawks.org to send him an email.
- The GHS boys’ golf team is actively looking for players for their spring season coming up March through May 2021. No matter what your skill level, or how many rounds of golf you’ve played, the GHS boys’ golf team is looking for you. Be a part of our team, play golf every day after school and develop friendships and skills that will benefit you in the future. Golf is a game you will take with you your entire life. From beginners to the most experienced golfer, there is a spot for you on our team. Learn more about joining the GHS golf team by emailing head coach Brent Randall at firstname.lastname@example.orgGet on board and join our team as we get ready for this spring.
- Any boys who are interested in boys’ track and field this year, please contact Coach Kauffman at email@example.com and let him know the following information: Name, cell phone number, and events that you are interested in competing in. There will be workouts in the Warehouse for any boys track athlete wanting to Pole Vault, High Jump, Long Jump, and Shot Put. These sessions will be held Monday’s and Tuesdays from 6:00-7:30 pm.
- Any girl interested in volleyball should be attending morning workouts with Strength and Conditioning Coach Miller 2 days a week.
- Any boy interested in playing football in the fall should attend off-season workouts on Mondays and Wednesday’s in the weight room from 3:45-5pm. You must have a physical on file to participate.
For athletic hub:
For those kids who need to take a bus from eLearning at home to athletic practices at GHS or GMS, here are the pick-up times and locations:
- Prairie View-2:35PM
- West Goshen-3:00PM
- GMS drop off-3:15PM
- GHS drop off-3:25PM
The bus will have internet access and the kids will be expected to be online in class while on the bus. Coaches are also analyzing current practice start times, as we may start 15 – 30 minutes later to allow for travel from home to practices.
Winter sport Athletic tickets and Pay/view:
- Now that attendance is not an option, all varsity/JV basketball games in the main gym will be live streamed for free. Visit goshenredhawks.org and the Ticket Info/Boosters tab for the link.
- For girls sectional basketball hosted at Goshen, we cannot offer free live streaming, as this is an IHSAA event. The games can be found on pay/view for $9.95 by visiting goshenredhawks.org under the Ticket info/Boosters Tab.
For winter sports, we are currently in a situation where only families of participating student-athletes have access to tickets. This is re-evaluated week by week and when we are able to return to 25% of capacity, we will then be able to offer tickets to students and staff. Staff ID’s will not be honored for admission unless the staff has been notified by the athletic department.